Women have many questions about stockings, their differences, and how to choose and wear them. Don’t worry; we at Albeli will advise you. Also, you are in luck because they are a trend, and the halftime is perfect to wear them and enhance your style with them without losing warmth.
What do stockings add to your look?
- Stockings help to shape the leg and its contour and are also perfect for unifying your skin tone when you want to wear a dress, miniskirt or shorts.
- They give shine and colour to your outfit depending on the type of style you choose. Let yourself be carried away by fantasy! A feminine accessory
Stockings were considered a luxury item in wartime until nylon democratized their use, empowering many women to wear them and show off their legs.
What is the difference between pantyhose, stockings, and knee socks?
Stockings were the ones that emerged first, at the beginning of the 20th century. Previously, they were sewn and made of wool or silk (hence, nylon was available to everyone). They cover the legs, from the feet to the middle of the thigh, and are currently reserved for special occasions.
Short socks are like thin socks but more sophisticated. They are suitable for certain types of footwear since they are slippery and do not give off as much heat. They can add a fun air to looks with pants.
Tights cover the legs up to the waist and arose with the rise of the miniskirt (stockings do not reach the waist). They gather the contour, give greater freedom of movement, are versatile, and are modern.
What should you take into account when you go to choose your stockings?
- The thicker the stockings, the harder they are to break in and the less leg you will see.
- Choose thick stockings if you want to reduce the volume of your contour or unify colour.
- To choose opacity, speak in deniers. A fine sock, it has low deniers (up to 20). A thick sock, it has high deniers (60 and up).
- There are as many tones as there are skin types.
- They enhance the natural colour of the skin.
- They are used especially in spring and autumn, at events or weddings.
- To choose the tone, it is recommended to choose one slightly darker than your own skin.
- The most used are black, although navy blue, burgundy or green ones are also very popular.
- The colours give a lot of play to looks with skirts and dresses.
- The clear ones visually enlarge the legs and the dark ones are the opposite.
- There are countless patterns: polka dots, stripes, flowers…
- The larger the pattern, the more volume it adds to the legs, but you also risk more.
- Matte tights reduce bulk.
- Shiny stockings add volume.
In which event will you use stockings?
Whether to wear stockings or not to wear them, that is the question! Our advice: better be consistent than follow protocol to the letter.
- If it is not cold, you have a unified skin colour and the outfit does not need an extra touch (fine, satin or very tight dresses), it is not necessary to wear stockings.
- If it’s cold and you want to unify your skin tone, you can opt for matte tights that are very similar to your skin, so they look natural.
- If you wear sandals, those with a seamless toe are ideal. It’s up to you!
Tips to choose the perfect stockings and tights
- Blend the colour of the shoe with that of the stocking to lengthen your legs.
- For high boots or ” over the knee ” choose tights that you have already worn or that are cheap, they may tear easily.
- If you’re wearing shorts or a skirt, make sure the panty top isn’t showing.
- If you have varicose veins or circulation problems, find out about compression stockings. There are many options.
- To avoid “racing”, be careful when you sit down, better safe than sorry! Choose a medium thickness to make them more resistant.
- To find the right size, refer to the sample table on the packaging. Unless you need a plus in the abdomen, you will be right.
- To style stockings, you can pair them with a skirt or dress for a classic look.
- You can also wear them with shorts or a jumpsuit for a more modern and edgy outfit.
Additionally, you can try wearing them with different shoe styles, such as heels or boots, to create different looks. To add a touch of glamour, you can opt for stockings with patterns or lace details. Another option is to wear stockings with garters for a chic ensemble. Ultimately, the key to styling stockings is to experiment and have fun with your outfits.